Monday, February 28, 2011

SHEEN CHANNELS HIS INNER RICKY VAUGHN

Charlie Sheen gave new meaning to the "Wild Thing" during his
round of network interviews on Monday. One look into the eyes
of Sheen, told you he has gone off the reservation. Waaaaaaaay
off the reservation, and into a world where few have ever gone before.

Volatile, bombastic, and acutely psychotic, Sheen gave us the
most-riveting television since 33 Chileans were pulled to safety from
the deep, dark mines that almost became their tombs. It's clear the
mega-star of "Two and a Half Men" has reached the depths of self-destruction,
but unlike those miners, it doesn't appear he can be saved.

Watching Sheen's mind-numbing interview for the "Today" show, I
couldn't help but think of how much he reminded me of the character
Sheen  played in "Major League."  That could have been Ricky Vaughn
being interviewed by Bob Costas in "Major League 3", which incidentally,
Sheen has signed on to do.

Ricky Vaughn was gifted but reckless, fearless yet careless, mindless
but, still brilliant. They are the same traits Sheen has exhibited during his
transition from grossly talented actor, to walking time-bomb. Vaughn was
cocky, arrogant, and more than a bit narcissistic. Hearing Sheen state
that he was "tired of pretending like he's not special,"  and that he's a
"rock star from Mars," would have been something Vaughn might
have expressed after striking out the side with 102 MPH fastballs.

The stress, the drugs, and the alcohol may have taken him back to
his role as combustible pitcher in "Major League", where he said
to his boss after he thought he was getting cut. "I got news for
you Mr. Brown, you haven't heard the last of me. You may think
I'm shit now, but someday you're gonna be sorry you cut me.
I'm gonna catch on somewhere else and every time that I pitch
against you I'm gonna stick it up you're f-----g-a--s!

That was remarkably similar to Sheen's reaction to his bosses
at CBS after they shut down production of his show.

"I’m just gonna forewarn them, it’s everybody else who’s gonna
be begging me for their job back. I’m gonna live my life the way
I want, I’m gonna win inside every moment, and they can just find
the most comfortable chair in their small house and sit back and
enjoy the show.

Whether it's in sports, entertainment, or just life, everybody enjoys
a good comeback. People thought Robert Downey, Jr. was done after
his battle with drug and alcohol addiction, but he overcame his
demons to be a wildly successful actor once again. Sheen is
spiraling out of control, and it doesn't appear that anyone can
stop, or even help him.

Sheen's in the "Sober Valley Lodge" now, hoping he can overcome
his problems by himself. He is a self-proclaiming betting man,
but even the "Wild Thing" inside of him, can't like his chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment